We are thrilled to introduce Tyler Wendling, a special guest writer that reminds us to “wear your effing sunscreen”. Tyler shares his story and why daily SPF application is not only important – but also cool.
Why is sunscreen and sun safety education important to you?
Sun safety is extremely important to me. My grandfather fought skin cancer back in 2021 and it made that fiery passion of mine grow even more. Wearing sunscreen every day is extremely important because it protects you from all types of skin cancer and it also helps your skin to maintain its collagen and elastin levels.
What are some of the biggest sunscreen myths you’ve seen circulating?
- That sunscreen is unsafe or dangerous.
- Sunscreen causes cancer…
- Wearing sunscreen cause a vitamin d deficiency.
- Wearing sunscreen at the highest points of the face where the sun hits is enough…
- “I don’t have to wear sunscreen on a cloudy day because the sun isn’t out.”
- Sunscreen in foundation/makeup is enough to keep me protected all day
Do you have any tips for remembering to use sunscreen every day?
I have two tips!
- I always have sunscreen with me in my everyday crossbody bag. I never leave the house without it.
- Depending on the day and what I’m doing: If I’m working at home or in the office I will reapply my sunscreen at lunch and when I get home. If I’m out in the sun working out or doing something outside, I reapply every hour. Both body and face!
Do you have any other sun safety practices that you live by?
If possible – I will wear a baseball cap or long sleeves to keep my skin covered. I also try to stay out of the sun as much as possible. Also keep sunscreen in your car to reapply if needed.
What would you say to someone who is not using SPF consistently? How would you convince them to start?
I would educate them and try to explain to them the importance of sun care. I feel like there’s a good understanding of sun damage and sunburns but people tend to not wear sunscreen. I would share some facts about skin cancer and the damage that it can do. No one wants cancer…why not protect yourself now?
Your merch is awesome! Can you tell us a bit more about the inspiration to create this? Where can we purchase it?
Thank you so much! #wearyoureffingspf was born out of my grandfather’s skin cancer diagnosis and during that time, there was the mass spread of sunscreen misinformation. With the raw emotions and the rage that I had during those couple of weeks, #wearyoureffingspf was born. I use this # to raise awareness for skin cancer and to explain to people that wearing sunscreen is so important.
You can purchase it here!
Thank you so much for having me and if you'd like to read more check out: wendlingandboyd.com
Discover Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare for All Your Skincare Needs
Stay up to date on the latest advice from our team of skincare experts.
Sign up to receive a monthly digest of skincare, wellness, and lifestyle tips.