The Lizzo tracks are bumping and the bathroom is steamy, which means it’s time for your ‘everything shower’ – your glorious, head-to-toe hygiene maintenance routine where you accomplish every grooming ritual, no matter how long it takes. Cleansing, exfoliating, hair removal, targeted treatments and more are all included (and how often you do an ‘everything shower’ is totally up to you). We all love that squeaky clean feeling, but hot, hours-long showers can wreak havoc on your body’s largest organ: the skin. The truth is a little self-care – or a lot in this case – does not have to be exhausting or come with consequences. Here at The Source we have expert tips, tricks and skincare picks to help you get the most out of your ‘everything shower’.
Opt for lukewarm water
The tunes may be blaring, but now is not the time to max out the temperature dial. Hot water binds to the oil the skin naturally produces and washes it down the drain, leaving the skin dry and vulnerable to loss of moisture, redness and sensitivity. Keeping the water temperature at lukewarm to cool will protect the skin’s natural oils while still properly cleansing. A cool temperature will also keep the body from overheating and dehydrating throughout the grooming process which will ultimately help to avoid that ‘drained’ feeling at the end of the shower.
Choose chemical over physical exfoliation
When it comes to choosing the right products for the shower, look for gentle and calming products that won’t throw the skin off balance. An ‘everything shower’ may seem like the perfect time to add a step with a physical scrub, but the truth is scrubs can cause micro-tears in the skin surface, resulting in breakouts, a compromised skin barrier, and redness and inflammation. Physical scrubs rely on irregularly shaped particles to scrape the skin surface and pull apart dead skin cells.
On the other hand, chemical exfoliation uses alpha and beta hydroxy acids to loosen the bonds between dead skin cells and are ultimately a gentler way to exfoliate than physical scrubs. To achieve radiant, glowy skin, look for a pH-balanced, soap-free cleanser like the Alpha Beta® AHA/BHA Daily Cleansing Gel which will effectively lift impurities without drying out the skin and gently remove dead, dull-looking skin without any irritation using a precise combination of AHAs and BHAs.
Prevent ingrown hairs by exfoliating before shaving
We learned here at The Source to gently exfoliate the day before shaving to reduce the risk of ingrown hairs and razor bumps. Our trick is the Alpha Beta® Exfoliating Body Treatment the night before an ‘everything shower’ to exfoliate clogged pores, remove dead skin lurking on the surface and aid in hydration. Using alpha and beta hydroxy acids before shaving will significantly reduce the risk of ingrown hairs and irritation. Once in the shower, remember to use gentle pressure to avoid cuts and shave in the direction of the hair to avoid in-grown hairs.
Steam your face separately
Facial steaming is an effective way to deeply cleanse, decongest pores and even hydrate the skin, but relying on an ‘everything shower’ to accomplish this would require the water temperature to be too hot, and we already know that hot water ultimately strips the skin of natural, healthy oils. Instead, opt for a unheated steaming device designed for the face and complete the treatment separately pre or post-shower. The Pro Facial Steamer liquifies blockages to release dirt, oil, dead skin cells and impurities while simultaneously increasing circulation, oxygen and nutrients to the skin. All skin types – even dry and oily – can benefit from facial steaming the right way because it gently softens the skin without over drying.
Seal in hydration immediately post-shower
Take advantage of the first few minutes you step out of the shower. While the skin is still moist, trapping water against the skin with a mask or moisturizer will maximize the skin’s moisturization factor. For intense and immediate hydration, apply the Hyaluronic Marine™ Hydrating Modeling Mask within minutes of getting out of the shower to drive water, hyaluronic acid and Japanese healing actives deep into the skin.
Complete your shower with topicals packed with active ingredients
After a thorough cleanse like an ‘everything shower’ the skin is prepped and primed for active ingredients that can increase collagen production, reduce free radical stress and help to strengthen the moisture barrier. The time after your ‘everything shower’ can be the perfect opportunity for targeted treatments that boost skin recovery in a short period of time. To see transformative results for acne, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles and more, look for scientifically backed ingredients vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, retinol, peptides and LED light therapy.
Products to use for face
- Red and blue LED light therapy are clinically proven to stimulate collagen production and reduce redness while treating and preventing breakouts, respectively. Use the DRx SpectraLite FaceWare Pro for just 3 minutes a day to start seeing a smoother, blemish-free complexion in as little as 2 weeks.
- Try the Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel post-shower to remove dead skin cell build and keep pores smooth and clear. This 2-step treatment preps the skin for your targeted treatments, improving the absorption and performance.
- To bring down redness post-shower, reach for the DermInfusions Fill + Repair Serum which is clinically proven to hydrate and strengthen the moisture barrier. Peptides, niacinamide and ectoin are the star ingredients in this formula that help to fill and repair the skin barrier.
- This gel to rubber treatment conforms to the face, locking in hydration and delivering soothing and active ingredients into the deeper layers of skin. Use the Hyaluronic Marine™ Hydrating Modeling Mask post-shower to intensely hydrate and bring out a radiant, dewy glow.
Products to use for body
- The face doesn’t have to be the only place to receive LED light therapy benefits. Try the DRx SpectraLite BodyWare Pro to reduce breakouts on the body, tighten and firm skin, and alleviate mild muscle pain.
- The Alpha Beta® Exfoliating Body Treatment is a multi-tasking body peel that immediately smooths skin for a firmer, more visible glow. Unfold the towel as you go, using in circular motions on the arms, legs, back and anywhere you want to improve body blemishes, ingrown hairs and keratosis pilaris.
- Support clear skin every shower you take with an AHA and BHA cleanser. Pro tip from CEO and co-founder Carrie Gross: use the Alpha Beta® AHA/BHA Daily Cleansing Gel on the legs and arms to gently exfoliate while reducing the risk of blemishes and ingrown hairs.
- Daily sun protection is necessary to protect against skin cancers and treat and prevent signs of sun aging. The new All-Physical Ultimate Defense Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 50 PA++++ is oil-free and water resistant, designed for every day sun protection. Use SPF on your face, neck, chest, hands, legs and scalp to protect and maintain your skincare results.
Stay up to date on the latest advice from our team of skincare experts.
Sign up to receive a monthly digest of skincare, wellness, and lifestyle tips.